Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Home

This past weekend I was able to head down South and visit my friends in Nashville. It’s always so good to see them. I can’t believe a few months have already passed since they came up here to visit. Time really flies. I hadn’t seen Babykins since the middle of May. Poor thing barely recognized me. Only after I spent two days with him did he finally not immediately start crying when he saw me! I guess that’s what you get when you move 600 miles away.


After a great flight (my row was the life of the party on Southwest!), I got to spend Friday night with the girls having a fabulous dinner at La Paz and ice cream at Sweet CiCis. So yummy. Then I went back to Stacia’s to “help” her bake a cake (she does it professionally). By “help” I mean, sit there, play DJ and look at things online. I’m not allowed to touch anything. It makes sense if you’ve ever seen me bake (which you probably haven’t, because I don’t…for good reason.)

The next morning, after running around their neighborhood in the blazing heat (um, hello Nashville? It’s FALL. Get the memo.), I had a delicious chocolate croissant, got ready and headed to Jen’s. I had grand plans for going out…but it turned into movie night with a few beers. I was exhausted. Jen & I got to have lunch with Carrie - a former co-worker - at Cheesecake Factory and did a little retail therapy in the Green Hills area. Sunday night Jen & Matt made yummy fajitas, Charlie & Stacia came over and we watched a movie (Date Night = hilarious!). It was good just to have time to catch up. I watched Babykins on Monday. We went to the park to run around in the 90 degree heat. Seriously, Nashville…summer has ended! By the time he woke up from his nap, it was time for me to head to the airport. Sort of sad, but I got a lot of cute pictures of him over the weekend…and none of anything else. So not cool.

As much fun as I had this weekend, I was actually ready to get back to Chicago. For months, I’ve been referring to Nashville as “home.” It still seemed that a lot of my life was there and I was just trying Chicago on for size. I was talking to my mom on the way to the airport when she asked if I was ready to leave. She fully expected me to say “no” and start bawling because I had to leave my friends. I surprised her, and myself, when I said “Yeah, I’m ready to get back home.” Neither of us saw it coming.

It was great to see my friends. I hate that I don’t get to do so more often. Yes, it makes me sad that I don’t get to be Babykin’s primary babysitter anymore and it hurts that he doesn’t recognize me. Yep, it absolutely sucks that I don’t get to hang out with Jen, Matt, Stacia, Charlie, Rebecca, Carrie and everyone else all the time. I gave up a life in Nashville with the hopes of a better one in Chicago. While it will be hard to top the amazing friends I made there, this life - my Chicago life - is perfect for me at this point. I’m sure I’ll go through many ups and downs just like I did in Nashville, but this is where I know I’m meant to be. As I curled up in my messy, hot room last night, I was just happy to finally be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment