Thursday, October 14, 2010

Breathless: Part 1

It’s funny how you meet some people in life. The majority of friends you meet in school or at church or somewhere random. I met one of my best friends when I was 15 working at an arcade in Fishers, Indiana. He was 17, tall, went to a rival high school and totally looks like a hotter version of Neil Patrick Harris. We actually dated for a few months back then. My favorite thing about him is that he used to make me great CDs. For instance, I’d had a really bad day and still had to work. He had his senior dinner to go to and we were smack in the middle of a huge ice storm. I didn’t expect to see him at all that day and was totally bummed out. Then, out of nowhere, he comes walking up with a rose and a CD for me. I knew I really liked him in that instant…plus, he had great taste in music…what was not to like? What I didn’t know was how significant he would be in my life.

We went on dates to the most random places. We celebrated my 16th birthday at a cheesy restaurant downtown where he kissed me for the first time in the elevator. We’d go to BW3’s and watch football. I’d go watch him and his friends play basketball in the neighboring town. He would always lose his keys and wallet...it was endearing. We’d joke around together at work and spent many summer nights hanging out on our trampoline just looking at the trees. Most importantly, he was there for me when my family life was falling apart.

We had a great few months, but like most teenage relationships – it ended. We were supposed to go to his senior prom together, but ended up breaking up before then. Of course there was drama surrounding it, but again, that’s to be expected when you’re a teenager. He graduated, went off to college and we kept in touch.

Fast forward a few years and I am a senior in high school. I wanted to go to my senior prom with someone important and couldn’t think of a better person than Chris. We’d remained really good friends throughout the past few years. There are great pictures of this event…and most of them involve me looking like I Dream of Genie. (Note to all high-schoolers: DO NOT DESIGN YOUR OWN PROM DRESS. I look at it now and wonder how anyone let me out in public like that.)  Prom was an interesting night, but I'm so glad I chose to go with Chris.



To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment