Thursday, November 4, 2010

Breathless: Part 4

Make sure to catch up on Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3...

After graduation, I moved to Nashville and still hadn’t heard from Chris or my former best friend.  I did know through the grapevine that he had moved with her to Minnesota to chase her career. In the meantime, I met Jerk and kind of forgot about all the drama. Well, about a month into our relationship, Jerk & I broke up (it should have been for good, but it wasn’t). I had been putting angry away messages up for a few days when I got a phone call from a number I didn’t recognize. It was Chris. Apparently, he had always checked my messages and was really worried about what was going on. At this point, I hadn’t heard a word from him in over 6 months.

He stayed on the phone with me for over an hour while I caught him up on what was going on. He told me I deserved better and that I was doing the right thing. For a while, we stayed in touch via email…even when Jerk & I got back together. Eventually, she got ticked that we were still friends. Did I mention that she hated me? Kind of key to the story. She despised that Chris and I had been so close and could talk about anything. She hated the fact that I had known him longer and had dated him in the past. So, out of respect for her, we stopped talking.

Sometime later, I was at the grocery store with Jerk and got a phone call from one of my friends, Jess. Her exact words were “You need to hear this from me. Chris & Amy are engaged.” Being the good friend she is, she knew I needed to hear it from someone with my best interests in mind and not find out through Facebook or the grapevine. My heart dropped. Of course I had been expecting it, but it didn’t make it any easier to hear.


...to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment