Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Planning - It's What I Do.

Isn’t it funny how life never turns out the way you expect it to? In high school, I thought I’d graduate college, move to Chicago, meet the man of my dreams right away and get married at 25. Then naturally, after two years, I’d have kids, quit my job and stay home with them to be the ultimate homemaker. Sounds pretty perfect, right?


Insert sarcastic laughs here.

Obviously, my life has turned out nothing like I thought it would. I moved to Nashville after college – a place that wasn’t even on my list of places to move. I did a job that I wasn’t crazy about for more than three years. I did meet a guy right away – but unfortunately, it wasn’t the right one. Since I’m rapidly approaching 27, I clearly didn’t get married at 25…and I’m not anywhere close to getting married. I don’t have kids and Martha Stewart would be embarrassed by my homemaking.

To be honest, when I compare the difference of where I thought I would be and where I actually am, it makes me a little depressed. But then, I look back at the past four years and think of what I would have missed if my life had gone according to MY plan. I never would have lived in the South…which means I wouldn’t have met Jen & Stacia – who are now more like sisters than friends. I wouldn’t be “Aunt Linny” to an adorable Babykins. I wouldn’t have learned to stand on my own two feet. I never would have learned my limits with relationships and wouldn’t be able to see the beauty in starting over. I wouldn’t have my perfect puppy, or the job experience I needed to get where I am. And most importantly, I wouldn’t have learned how to forgive or about God’s never-ending grace.

So, while it can be disheartening to compare my life to MY plan…it’s the opposite when I compare it to God’s plan. I needed to take a detour to see how amazing my life really is. As much as I love to plan things (um, I do it for a living!), my plans pale in comparison to His.

God’s plan for my life is perfect. Mine is not. End of story.

He knows who I’ll marry and at what time…and when it’s right, it will be right. He knows where we’ll live, how many kids we’ll be blessed with and what kind of life we’ll lead. Once I started realizing this, it became so much easier to be happy with where I am in life. My life is never going to be perfect – but it’s through the imperfections that I learn more about myself, God and grace. I think that’s a pretty good trade-off…





“The struggles make us stronger and the changes make us wise.
Happiness has its own way of taking its sweet time.
Life ain’t always beautiful, but it’s a beautiful ride.”
~ Gary Allan

13 comments:

  1. I needed this today! Thank you SO much for posting this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this...your story about how you thought it would go was just like mine! I had it all planned out and when it didn't go according to plan, I did things to "fix" it. I've had to learn a lot the hard way and now, on this journey through infertility, I find myself trying to be a "fix it girl" again. I really just decided to stop doing what I always do and TRUST a few weeks ago.

    Again, thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! I'm totally with you on everything you wrote.. Approaching my 25th in a few short days, thought everything you thought ... But now I've come to accept and trust in the Lord that His plans are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this post! I have gone through the same things. I moved to NYC directly after college 4 years ago because I was engaged to a great guy from there but I knew it wasn't right, so I broke it off and moved down to Atlanta where I've been ever since. I had it all planned out, and it's going in a much different direction. We just have to trust!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this post. I love the quote at the bottom. May God continue to bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your story. It really resonates with me. I recently turned 26 and had a mini quarter-life crisis because I had lots of Great Expectations about what my life would be like at the age (why 26? I don't know. One of my best friends felt the same way about 23).

    It's so nice to find other women dealing with the same issues - I feel like we can encourage each other to trust fully in God's plan for our lives - because He does have one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came across your blog via a blog via a blog - amazing how that works, right? Like the others before me have said, this post definitely resonated with me and caused me to go through your older posts, nodding my head along the way (see "and I’m not anywhere close to getting married. I don’t have kids and Martha Stewart would be embarrassed by my homemaking" - I actually laughed out loud at the last part of this!). So, thank you for this. Thanks to Amy (I think it was Amy?) for encouraging bloggers to come forth with their honest stories!

    Why is it so hard to enjoy the single life sometimes?! I up and moved to Chicago (!) a little over a year ago and it's been a roller coaster at times. I'm definitely not where I thought I'd be by this point in my life - even though, as I keep telling myself, it's not like I'm that old, but it feels it compared to where my other friends are in their lives.

    So thank you for your post & your blog! It is always a comforting thing coming across someone who has been through or is going through something similar.

    And...if you ever want to meet up for coffee - one single Chicago girl to another - let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Ladies! It's so nice to know I'm not the only one out there dealing with "planning issues!"

    Amy - thank you SO much for hosting this! I absolutely adore your blog and the way you write...so honest and real. It's rare and appreciated by many.

    Whitfields - Wow...it takes a lot of courage to break off an engagement. Good for you for holding out for God's plan instead of yours! It's not easy to be that strong...I get that for sure.

    Paige - Gary Allan's song "Life Ain't always beautiful" It's country, but I LOVE the message. :)

    Marie - My quarter life crisis was 26 too! Not sure why it it me so hard, but that was a really tough birthday. Fortunately, my 26th year has been SO much better than I ever dreamed! Funny how God does that...

    Megan - YES! Coffee is a MUST! What part of the city do you live in? BTW, how fabulous is Chicago? I love it here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your post...your Blog title made me think of a song/video that one of my friends has just put out as her first single.

    http://www.cmt.com/videos/joanna-smith/578629/gettin-married.jhtml

    I don't know if you ever went to Tootsie's while you were in Nashville, but if so, you may have seen her before. Anyway, hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We definitely should do coffee! I live in the Streeterville/River East area, but work in Wheaton (west suburb) so my weekday schedule is tough. Maybe there is a middle location somewhere & we can meet up some Saturday?! I love Chicago, but of course, we are just coming off of the summer season! But there is just something about this city...it's magical.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Streeterville area...so many high rises! I live in Wicker Park (work in the west loop) and have zero plans this weekend (first time in a long time) so let me know if you want to grab coffee! Random question, but what church do you go to around here?

    I could NOT have thought of a better word than "magical" for this city. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let's definitely meet up - maybe Saturday 10:00-ish? Is there are middle ground location you can think of?

    For churches...I often go to one out in Glen Ellyn because I come into work afterwards. Have you heard of Park Community Church in Chicago? I've never been, but I think a lot of younger people go and I've been wanting to try it out. It's non-denominational. Have you found a church you like?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saturday works perfect :) email me at LJErwin@gmail.com.

    I have gone to Park a few times...I'm going back this weekend!

    ReplyDelete