Monday, June 7, 2010

South Beach...bringin' the heat!


So, on June 5th, this handsome guy turned 29.  I had been planning his birthday weekend in Chicago for weeks a few days when he sent me an email.  Flights to Miami and San Francisco were WIDE open...did I want to go to the beach?  Um...yes!  Of course!  So, Friday night we hopped a flight to Miami!  Very last minute and very fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants.  There are two things I am not: Very last minute and very fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants.  I plan meetings for a living...key word being p-l-a-n.  I make binders for going on vacation...seriously.

At any rate, the minute we landed, Jason Pricelined us a fabulous South Beach hotel - The Raleigh. The rooms weren't anything to write home about. But the pool? The pool was fabulous.




Even better than the pool was the beach:


After learning the drinks at the hotel were ridiculously expensive, we went out to buy our own and sat on the beach the rest of the day.  We went and rode the jet-skis out in the ocean, took naps in the sun and just generally goofed around.





After all the fun in the sun, we got dressed up to go to a yummy dinner right on Lincoln St. in South Beach.  I wasn't too sure of the Argentinian cusine, but Jase picked a fabulous place (no big surprise, he has great taste). I always forget to have someone take a picture of us when we're dressed up, dangit.




(Jason kept yelling at me because I was on the phone updating Facebook every three seconds.)


Since our flight didn't leave until Monday morning, we spent the day Sunday walking down the beach and shopping around "A1A - Beachfront Avenue!" (Bonus points if you can name the song we kept singing the ENTIRE weekend.)  We stopped and got some very yummy drinks that ended up being WAY stronger than planned.  We realized this in the middle of Kenneth Cole.  Super classy:  it's how we roll.



After goofing around at the pool for a bit longer, we packed up all our stuff and headed the airport hotel.  By the time we got there, Jason had work to do and I had TV to watch.  We ended up ordering Papa Johns (which made us sick) and heading to bed because we had to wake up at the ridiculous hour of 4am to catch our flight home.

I have to say that while the weekend I had planned originally was going to be fun, this was so much better!  I'd been begging asking Jase to go to the beach and he definitely heard me.  It was great to spend time away from the City exploring somewhere new together.  Traveling with someone isn't always easy.  We definitely had our moments of snippiness (mostly on my part...shocking).  We're both learning how to communicate what we want and our expectations for each other because not everyone functions the same way. 

For instance, I forget to eat a lot of times.  Jason doesn't.  He has to speak up about when he's hungry because the poor man will never eat if he doesn't.  Also, when my family goes on vacation to the beach, we are at the beach all. day. long.  Jason gets bored sitting anywhere more than an hour and likes to go see things.  We didn't know these things until we had to hash it out on Sunday.  But now, we're aware of it and on our next trip, we know how to handle it.  It's all an adjustment, but I think it's more what you make of it and how you address differences that matters.

Overall...a fantastic weekend with a great guy! Neither of us wanted to wake up and come back to work, but I am pretty thrilled to see this little thing when I get home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment