Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Changes

I moved to Chicago almost exactly five months ago.  It's crazy how much things can change in five months.  For example, I went from a ghetto apartment that flooded regularly in Nashville, to living in a 10x11 room in my uncle's house to an adorable duplex in a fabulous neighborhood.  Also, I moved to Chicago completely single...now, I'm definitely not single.  And even more than that, the relationship is going shockingly well.  But the biggest change of all was my job.  I went from working for a major corportation in a fabulous department full of my best friends to working in a tiny basement office with 5 guys and a crazy lady.  Seriously.  I tried not to write a lot about how awful things were at that job because it's not something I want to remember in detail. 

I had convinced myself that I was going to give new-crappy-job at least a year before I started looking elsewhere.  Then things really started to go downhill quickly.  The management wasn't there, the upper-level management had a thing for writing one-off emails full of degrading comments and exclamation points, and no one was actively doing anything to help the situation.  So, being the good Sales Manager that I was, I was researching one of my clients one day and noticed that she worked for "XYZ Meetings & Incentives."  I said, "hmmm...never heard of that" and typed it into Google.  After learning a little more about the company, I looked at open positions.  Turns out, they had one of my dream jobs listed on their site...and I was qualified for it.  But I didn't apply.  I had said I was going to stick it out for a year.  I casually mentioned it to my mom and Jason.  Both of them knowing how miserable I was, they told me to apply THIS SECOND. 

I updated my resume and applied two days later (a Wednesday.)  On Friday, I had a half day and had just gotten home to let Lex out and my phone started ringing with an unfamiliar number.  "Hi!  This is Oliva with XYZ Meetings & Incentives...we'd like to set up an interview on Tuesday."  I'm pretty sure I did a dance in the middle of the street with Lex, I was SO excited.  But I didn't want to get my hopes up because I didn't want to be let down if I didn't get it.

Monday rolled around and it was one of the worst days yet at my crappy job.  Seriously, a new low had been reached and I was so over it.  I believe I texted Jason "Can I quit my job?"  I spent Monday night with my family in town celebrating my uncle's 50th birthday.  I told them all about the interview the next day  and about how nervous I was because I really wanted it.  They assured me they'd all be praying for me.  Jason typed up a massive email about interview questions and prep stuff that scared me and helped me out at the same time. 

So, Tuesday, I call in "sick" to current crappy job.  Can I just tell you how awful I felt about lying to current crappy employer?  Seriously.  I've never called in fake sick...EVER.  At any rate, mom dropped me off at the building to interview.  Two hours later, I walked out.  I fielded about 50 phone calls saying "I think it went well."  Then began the waiting game.  Wednesday passed with nothing.  Thursday came and I got a voicemail from XYZ Meetings & Incentives asking me to call them back.  I called them immediately and left a message.  Didn't hear from them. 

Jason came over that night to hang out and literally, as I was playing the voicemail for him to get his read on it, they called.  And offered me a job.  Holy crap.  I wish I could describe how good that felt.  Relief flooded through me.  I didn't have to go back to crappy current job.  Seriously? 

So, now, as of Wednesday, I'll be working for XYZ Meetings & Incentives as a Purchasing Manager.  Basically, I'll be sourcing meetings and negotiating meeting contracts for a large corporation exclusively. That's it.  ONLY NEGOTIATION.  No planning.  No On-Site. No Cell Phones. Thank you, Lord!!

There are obviously MAJOR benefits to this:
1.  No more current crappy job.
2.  Something I'm actually really good at and enjoy doing.
3.  Word for word from my benefits info:  "Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30a-5:30p"  HECK YES!
4.  Business Casual.  Goodbye Suits.
5.  New job is downtown Chicago.  I mean DOWN.TOWN.  No more suburbs
6.  I now get to take the Metra literally INTO my new building.  If you've never experienced a Chicago winter, this is HUGE.
7.  No more crappy current job.

To say that I'm excited is way off base.  I'm thrilled and so relieved at this opportunity.  So many people would look at this and say it was a "happy accident" that I was researching a client that day...but I know better.  This is another instance in my life where God just makes Himself so obvious.  I don't know how someone could look at this series of events and NOT see God's hand all over it.  Some days, I don't know what I did to be so truly blessed...but I know that I am and that I'm thankful.


~I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Philippians 4:13~

No comments:

Post a Comment